St. Mark’s is the only Episcopal Church in Mifflin County. The first Episcopal Congregation in Lewistown was formed in 1818. In 1820, Episcopalians began meeting in a one-room log courthouse in the town square. A parish was established in 1823 and in 1824, the first church was built on Main Street, just off the Square. That church was expanded and rebuilt in 1897 and stands today as a testament of almost two centuries of ministry.
Who We Are
The congregation at St. Mark’s is heavily influenced by the local culture, which is hard-working, “Pennsylvania Dutch” culture. Members of the parish represent varied walks of life, income, and education levels. On a typical Sunday morning one can expect to see people dressed very well or very simply and everything in between. Small children make their way to and from the altar rail completely at ease in their “church home,” with their family, quite aware that they are loved by all. Every week there is much talk about family — not necessarily blood family but always family “of the heart.” At St. Mark’s all are considered “part of the family” and are valued quite apart from their status in the larger community, employment, age, education, or anything else that others may use to set them apart. We are proud to be a Jublilee Ministry Center.
To be a Spirit-filled, Multi-generational Community-oriented parish in the Episcopal tradition.
Mifflin County is in the Appalachian Mountains in north central Pennsylvania. There are several villages and towns in the surrounding area of the Kishacoquillas Valley including: Allensville, Belleville, Burnham, Reedsville, Milroy, Siglerville, and Yaegertown. These have a combined population of about 13,500 people.
The Borough of Lewistown is the county seat and the largest municipality in Mifflin County.